Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oddly Interesting

I was reading Winnipeg Metro this morning and I came across a very interesting statistic that read you have a "one-in-200,000 chance of being hit by an asteroid".

Really?

An asteroid?

Why would anyone what to know the odds on that kind of stuff? For me that's on the same level as LARPing (that's Live Action Role Playing for those of you who aren't hardcore, and trust me, it's better if you don't ask how I know that) and dressing up to go trick-or-treating when your 24...

But, when it comes right down to it, don't we secretly enjoy knowing the odds we face? Think about it. We're inspired by stories of how one person can go from total desolation to being on top of the world, or how a few voices can topple a nation.

We love it and we can't seem to get enough. And we think to ourselves, 'What are the odds?'

It's one big discussion. We talk about at the dinner table, while texting friends, in the lunch room at work and sometimes with strangers. In fact, I was heading with my Grandma from the store to go back home, when an older woman with her granddaughter asked me, 'Do you think it will snow tonight?', I chuckled my reply, 'I hope not!'

Sometimes I think we try to get the odds to work in our favor, like we're trying to 'out smart' the system. But, what 'system' are we trying to work out with our cleverness? I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just asking how is it useful? Why do we need to be resist? To fight? To create a ruckus? A muck?

I suppose it comes down to this. The odds aren't there to make life insane or impossible, but add adventure, a bit of spice. They make life interesting and supply you with funny stories to share around the water cooler.

In the end I say enjoy the odds... Just don't gamble with them.

No comments: